I decided to start this blog to let all of you know what I have found so far on our Cloward Family History lines. I'm just starting but have been learning a lot and have found some interesting information as I have gone along. Wendy and I have taken a few trips now to Pennsylvania in the past year, and this last one we took dad and mom with us. We saw some beautiful country, how hard it must have been for Jacob and Ann to leave these beautiful surroundings and family for their beliefs. They were strong people, I will share pictures and information that I gather so that you can learn more about our ancestors as well.

Thursday, September 24, 2026

Three Cloward Sisters - All indentured after the Death of Their Father


 


Full YouTube Episode on Cloward Sisters

I just uploaded the video I made about three sisters, our Cloward cousins, who had to be indentured out after the death of their father, John Cloward. Him and Mary Mellon had only been married for thirteen years, when he passed away. They had a son according to the 1840 US Census, between 0 -10 years old. I have found nothing more on him. Their three daughters all had to be indentured, I'm supposing that Mary had no way to care for the girls. They were indentured out one by one. Mary Jane, their second daughter was indentured first at nine years old. Then Matilda followed the following year, also at nine years old. In 1832, Catherine Ann, the oldest at 13 was also indentured. Matilda ended up being indentured twice, and both times, her master passed away. The terms of their indentures; they were to be taught "The art, trade, and mystery of housewifery" Who came up with that mouthful? They were to receive some education, one was detailed enough to say that it would be one year, the others did not specify. At the end of their indentures, each said they would receive two suits of clothing "suitable to her condition" and one of them spelled out, that just one of the two outfits had to be new... that's it! Watch the video to find out what happened to Catherine Ann and Mary Jane. I'm still looking for elusive cousin Matilda. I have not found her in any census records. I searched the 1840 Census in Delaware for any women named Matilda. There were two; one came from an entirely African American family, and the other one, I found her marriage record, listing her maiden name, wasn't our Matilda. I will keep you posted when I figure anything else out. 

The Indenture Book Index

Mary Jane, the first to be indentured at nine years old


                                            Matilda's first indenture record also at nine years old


                             

                                                        Mary Jane's second indenture at 13



Catherine Anne's indenture at 13



Mary Jane's marriage record


Mary Jane with husband Francis, daughter Martha, and her sister, Catherine Ann is living with them at the time of the 1850 US Census in Philadelphia


Newspaper clipping for the death of Mary Jane, Philadelphia, just one year after this US Census
This newspaper clipping was for a newspaper in Wilmington, Delaware, where she was from


Death Record for Catherine Ann, just three years later, 1854, in Blockley Almshouse, Philadelphia 





No comments:

Post a Comment